Can I visit?
Any member of the Library can access any of our library sites during advertised opening hours (although security arrangements in buildings not wholly under our control may impose restrictions outwith "office hours"; see below for more information on specific libraries).
Members of the public who have a valid reason to use one of our libraries for reference purposes can apply for access; this access will usually be limited in duration, confers no borrowing rights, and does not permit the use of IT facilities.
Please note that access to the wi-fi network is restricted to staff and students from the University of Dundee. Before travelling to Dundee, staff and students from universities which participate in the eduroam service can make arrangements at their home institution to use wi-fi enabled devices during their visit.
The Main Library has an access control system with four security gates regulating both entry and exit.
- Staff and students from the University of Dundee should open the gates using their ID/matriculation card
- Other members of the Library should open the gates using the barcode on their LLC membership card.
Visitors, and anyone wishing to apply for Library membership, should call at Reception.
- Members of the public should produce photo ID (e.g. passport or driving licence) and some recent document bearing their name and address (e.g. a utilities bill), and apply for a day visitor pass. Please note that, without prior application in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org, day visitor passes are restricted to two per semester. Applications should demonstrate a genuine need to use the Library for study or research
- Staff and students from other universities in the UK and Ireland (including, from January 2018, Abertay and St Andrews) can make prior application to join the SCONUL Access scheme and this will allow them to become members of the Library; at Reception they should produce an ID/matriculation card from their home institution and an authorisation email from SCONUL Access and apply for a day visitor pass. Please note that visits outwith the SCONUL Access scheme are restricted to two per semester.
- Young children accompanying a member of the Library will be admitted without a day pass
- Spouses, partners or older children accompanying a member of the Library usually do not have to produce ID in order to apply for a day visitor pass, but visits will be restricted to two per semester.
When the Main Library is open but no Help services are available, it is not possible to apply for Library membership or a day visitor pass and members cannot be admitted without the required ID.
Duncan of Jordanstone Library
The Matthew Building has an access control system.
- Staff and students from the University of Dundee should call at DJCAD Reception (Monday - Friday 9.00am - 4.45pm) to have their ID/matriculation card activated for access
- Other members of the Library should produce their LLC membership card at DJCAD Reception to be admitted.
Outwith DJCAD Reception opening hours, LLC membership card holders (and staff and students who have not had their ID/matriculation card activated) are advised to obtain a Visitor Pass from Main Library. Further information.
Robertson Trust Medical Library
24 hour access to the Medical Library is regulated by an access control system and is only available to staff and students from the University of Dundee, and to NHS Tayside members of the Library. To have your ID/matriculation card enabled, please contact the Medical Library and allow 2 working days (Monday - Friday) for the application to be processed.
Open access for other library members and visitors is available Monday - Friday 8.45am - 4.45pm. Outwith these hours, loans may be returned via a book drop situated on Level 8 adjacent to the library entrance.
Fife Campus Library
To access the library after 5.00pm Monday - Thursday staff and students from the University of Dundee should ring the doorbell at the main entrance door and show their ID/matriculation card to be admitted. Other members of the Library should show their LLC membership card and another form of photographic ID.
Gillingham Library, Perth
No known issues.
What if I forget my card?
Security arrangements in buildings not wholly under our control may prevent access without an ID/matriculation card or an LLC membership card.
- Students from the University of Dundee can use eVision to generate a barcode on their smartphone to open the Main Library security gates. From early 2018, staff will be able to use the new Library app to do this. Otherwise staff and students are required to apply for a day visitor pass and these are restricted to two per semester
- Other members of the Library will be required to apply for a day visitor pass and these are restricted to two per semester.
Please note that borrowing is not permitted without an ID/matriculation card or an LLC membership card.
Can I join?
The Library & Learning Centre at the University of Dundee welcomes applications for membership from all interested persons. Check the table below for entitlement to membership, what proof of status is required, and whether any payment must be made. For other categories of membership see the Library regulations.
Please note that borrowing allowances vary and not all members have access to the full range of electronic resources. See the information on Borrowing and our Walk In Users Service for more information.
|Corporate subscribers||£120.00||One authorised signatory to be responsible for the card|
|Junior subscribers||£5.00||Letter of introduction from school;
must be over 16 and in S5 or S6
|Subscribing members of the public||£40.00||Proof of identity, name and current address|
|NHS Fife Community Health Partnership staff||Free||Proof of identity, name and current address; plus proof of employment by NHS Fife CHP (e.g. contract, current payslip, or official letter of confirmation) for both initial application and renewal|
|NHS Tayside staff||Free||Proof of identity, name and current address; plus proof of employment by NHS Tayside (e.g. contract, current payslip, official letter of confirmation, or current NHS Tayside staff ID card) for both initial application and renewal|
|SCONUL Access scheme members||Free||Current ID/matriculation card from home institition and authorisation email from SCONUL Access|
|University of Dundee graduates||£15.00||Proof of identity, name and current address; plus proof of graduation|
|Abertay University staff and students||Free||Current Abertay ID/matriculation card; from January 2018 applications will have to be made through SCONUL Access|
|University of St Andrews staff and students||Free||Current St Andrews ID/matriculation card; from January 2018 applications will have to be made through SCONUL Access|
How do I join?
Staff and students of the University don't need to do anything to join the Library: their details are uploaded automatically from Human Resources or Registry. All other potential members should download an application form and take it to one of our libraries together with any proof of status or payment required.