Can I visit?
Any member of the Library can access any of our library sites during advertised opening hours (although security arrangements in buildings not wholly under our control may impose restrictions outwith "office hours"; see below for more information on specific libraries).
Members of the public who have a valid reason to use one of our libraries for reference purposes can apply for access; this access will usually be limited in duration, confers no borrowing rights, and does not permit the use of IT facilities.
Please note that access to the wi-fi network is restricted to staff and students from the University of Dundee. Before travelling to Dundee, staff and students from universities which participate in the eduroam service can make arrangements at their home institution to use wi-fi enabled devices during their visit.
The Main Library has an access control system with four security gates regulating both entry and exit.
- Staff and students from the University of Dundee should open the gates using their ID/matriculation card
- Other members of the Library should open the gates using the barcode on their LLC membership card.
Visitors, and anyone wishing to apply for Library membership, should call at Reception.
- Members of the public should produce photo ID (e.g. passport or driving licence) and some recent document bearing their name and address (e.g. a utilities bill), and apply for a day visitor pass. Please note that, without prior application in writing to email@example.com, day visitor passes are restricted to two per semester. Applications should demonstrate a genuine need to use the Library for study or research
- Staff and students from other universities in the UK and Ireland (including Abertay and St Andrews) can make prior application to join the SCONUL Access scheme and this will allow them to become members of the Library; at Reception they should produce an ID/matriculation card from their home institution and an authorisation email from SCONUL Access and apply for a day visitor pass. Please note that visits outwith the SCONUL Access scheme are restricted to two per semester.
- Young children accompanying a member of the Library will be admitted without a day pass
- Spouses, partners or older children accompanying a member of the Library usually do not have to produce ID in order to apply for a day visitor pass, but visits will be restricted to two per semester.
When the Main Library is open but no Help services are available, it is not possible to apply for Library membership or a day visitor pass and members cannot be admitted without the required ID.
Duncan of Jordanstone Library
The Matthew Building has an access control system.
- Staff and students from the University of Dundee should call at DJCAD Reception (Monday - Friday 9.00am - 4.45pm) to have their ID/matriculation card activated for access
- On weekdays before 4.45pm other members of the Library should produce their LLC membership card at DJCAD Reception to be admitted.
Outwith DJCAD Reception opening hours, LLC membership card holders (and staff and students who have not had their ID/matriculation card activated) are advised to obtain a DoJ Library Visitor Pass from Main Library. Further information.
Robertson Trust Medical Library
24 hour access to the Medical Library is regulated by an access control system and is only available to staff and students from the University of Dundee, and to NHS Tayside members of the Library. To have your ID/matriculation card enabled, please contact the Medical Library and allow 2 working days (Monday - Friday) for the application to be processed.
Open access for other members of the Library and visitors is available Monday - Friday 8.45am - 4.45pm. Outwith these hours, loans may be returned via a book drop situated on Level 8 adjacent to the library entrance.
Fife Campus Library
To access the library after 5.00pm Monday - Thursday staff and students from the University of Dundee should ring the doorbell at the main entrance door and show their ID/matriculation card to be admitted. Other members of the Library should show their LLC membership card and another form of photographic ID.
Gillingham Library, Perth
No known issues. Please note that this library will close permanently on 30 April 2018.
What if I forget my card?
Security arrangements in buildings not wholly under our control may prevent access without an ID/matriculation card or an LLC membership card.
- Students from the University of Dundee can use eVision to generate a barcode on their smartphone to open the Main Library security gates. From early 2018, staff will be able to use the new Library app to do this. Otherwise staff and students are required to apply for a day visitor pass and these are restricted to two per semester
- Other members of the Library will be required to apply for a day visitor pass and these are restricted to two per semester.
Please note that borrowing is not permitted without an ID/matriculation card or an LLC membership card.
Can I join?
The Library & Learning Centre at the University of Dundee welcomes applications for membership from all interested persons. Check the table below for entitlement to membership, what proof of identity and status is required, and whether any payment must be made. For other categories of membership see the Library regulations.
Please note that borrowing allowances vary and not all members have access to the full range of electronic resources. See the information on Borrowing and our Walk In Users Service for more information.
|Annual Subscription||Requirements||Application Form|
|Corporate subscribers||£120.00||One authorised signatory to be responsible for the card||Apply to join|
|Junior subscribers||£5.00||Letter of introduction from school;
must be over 16 and in S5 or S6
|Apply to join|
|Subscribing members of the public||£40.00||Proof of identity (photo ID), name and current address||Apply to join|
|NHS Fife Health & Social Care Partnership Services staff||Free||Proof of identity (photo ID), name and current address; plus proof of employment by NHS Fife H&SCPS (e.g. contract, current payslip, or official letter of confirmation) for both initial application and renewal||Apply to join|
|NHS Tayside staff||Free||Proof of identity (photo ID), name and current address; plus proof of employment by NHS Tayside (e.g. contract, current payslip, official letter of confirmation, or current NHS Tayside staff ID card) for both initial application and renewal||Apply to join|
|SCONUL Access scheme members||Free||Current ID/matriculation card from home institition and authorisation email from SCONUL Access||Apply to join|
|University of Dundee graduates||£15.00||Proof of identity (photo ID), name and current address; plus proof of graduation||Apply to join|
|Abertay University staff and students||Free||Members of the SCONUL Access scheme from Abertay University are able to join the Library & Learning Centre at the University of Dundee; in addition, a reciprocal agreement between the two universities extends borrowing rights to full-time undergraduates (Band R members)||Apply to join|
|University of St Andrews staff and students||Free||Members of the SCONUL Access scheme from St Andrews University are able to join the Library & Learning Centre at the University of Dundee; in addition, a reciprocal agreement between the two universities extends borrowing rights to full-time undergraduates (Band R members)||Apply to join|
How do I join?
Staff and students of the University don't need to do anything to join the Library: their details are uploaded automatically from Human Resources or Registry. All other potential members should complete the appropriate online application form in advance of a visit in person. Applications are processed as soon as possible and an email is sent to confirm that this has been done. Applicants then have 10 days to call in at one of our libraries with proof of identity (photo ID), name and current address, as well as any other proof specific to their membership, to collect a membership card.