Scottish University of the Year – again!
We are the Scottish University of the Year in The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide for the second year in a row.
We have been hailed for our excellent teaching quality and student experience. Dundee is in the top ten in the UK for both key measures in the Good University Guide analysis.
The Guide notes the strength of research at the University and our economic, social and cultural impact.
We have also seen a sharp rise in our ranking in the Good University Guide’s league table. Dundee has climbed nine places to 28th in the UK rankings.
On the rise
We improved in our position in every major league table this year. In the Times Higher World Top 200 we are the only Scottish institution moving upwards.
Great for graduates
Dundee is one of the top UK universities for graduate employment. 96.2% of Dundee graduates were in work or further study six months after graduation.
We have made the most progress of any university in Scotland on widening access in the last few years.
In the global spotlight
We are one of the world’s top 200 universities, according to Times Higher Education, and in their global Top 20 of young universities.
Dundee proves it is possible to be both an outstanding teaching university and one at the cutting edge in research work.
Alastair McCall, editor of The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide
The University recorded its highest ever scores in the National Student Survey (NSS) this year, placing Dundee inside the UK top ten.
Overall satisfaction among students was 91 per cent. This figure represents our best ever NSS result and led to a seven-place rise in the UK league table, while Dundee University Students’ Association (DUSA) remains the top students’ union in Scotland.
Our most recent rankings
The Times Higher Education Young University Rankings list the world’s best 200 universities that are aged 50 years or under. Dundee is the only UK university ranked in the top 50 – for the second year running we are 16th in the global table.
The Times Higher Education (THE) Student Experience Survey asks current undergraduate students to rate how their university has performed in 21 key areas each year. We ranked 15th in the UK in the 2017 edition, a rise of six places, and 2nd in Scotland.
The survey asks students at 122 UK institutions to rate their experience across eight areas – academic experience, university facilities, societal experience, student welfare, accommodation, industry connections, security and students’ union. Students were also asked how likely they were to recommend their university to a friend.
Dundee University Students’ Union (DUSA) was ranked top in Scotland (6th overall) while the University was ranked 5th equal in the UK for facilities. We performed consistently well across the board with our standing boosted by particularly strong performances in questions relating to social life and community atmosphere.
The University of Dundee features in the World's Top 1% of higher education institutions worldwide in the following subjects:
- Ranked in the World’s top 100 for Anatomy & Physiology, Biological Sciences and Pharmacy & Pharmacology
- Ranked in the World’s top 150 for Art & Design, Medicine and Education
- Ranked in the World’s top 200 for Architecture
View the full tables on the QS World University Rankings by Subject website
Dundee one of the world’s best for international student satisfaction
The University of Dundee has been ranked 1st in Scotland, 3rd in the UK and 14th globally for overall average student satisfaction in this year’s International Student Barometer (ISB).
With feedback from over 2.5 million students worldwide across all student types, levels and years of study, the ISB is the world's largest annual survey of international students. It reflects on four main aspects of the university experience for international students – Learning, Living, Support and Arrival.
More than 180 institutions in dozens of countries were included in the survey, including 42 in the UK, of which eight were in Scotland.
Wendy Alexander, Vice-Principal (International) of the University, said, “This excellent result epitomises much of what we do at Dundee. We are a Scottish university with a global focus and our world-renowned student experience is one of the things we are most proud of.
“I am delighted that that the results reflect the support our international students receive to help them adjust into life in Scotland and the learning experience they can expect here. As well as our international students benefitting from their experience in Dundee, they also enrich the experience of all our students from Scotland and elsewhere in the UK.
“Our mission is to transform lives locally and internationally. The education and experience these students receive at the University will not only benefit them but countless others whether they choose to go back to their own countries after graduation, decide to make here their home, or go elsewhere. They will go on to do exceptional things in their chosen fields and the links they forge will benefit us all.”
Highlights of the ISB include:
- Enquiry Centre (4th in ISB)
- Careers Service (4th in ISB)
- The physical library (5th in ISB)
- The subject area expertise of lecturers/ supervisors (8th in ISB)
- Getting time from academic staff when I need it/ personal support with learning (8th in ISB)
- Internet access at my accommodation (3rd in ISB)
- Finance/Cash Office (8th in ISB)
The ISB is the leading benchmarking tool used to track the international student experience. It is independently administered for universities by the International Graduate Insight Group (i-graduate.org).
Dundee is the Scottish University of the Year in The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide for the second year in a row. The University recorded its highest ever scores in the most recent National Student Survey (NSS) and rose five places to 180th in the newest edition of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
The National Student Survey (NSS) surveys final year undergraduate students each year. It asks them to rate their satisfaction with 22 different aspects of their university learning experience. 82% percent of students in their final year at the University completed the survey.
Dundee is in the UK's top 10
- The University of Dundee has been ranked 8th in the UK for student experience, receiving its highest ever scores in the survey
- The University recorded overall satisfaction of 91 per cent, up on last year and well above the sector average of 86 per cent
- Students ranked us 1st in the UK for Personal Development
- 100% satisfaction recorded by Physics students (top in the UK)
12 more subjects ranked in the top 10 nationally:
- Computing (3rd)
- Dentistry (3rd)
- Design (3rd)
- Fine Art (3rd)
- Others in Creative Art and Design (3rd)
- Maths (5th)
- Nursing (6th)
- Human and Social Geography (7th)
- Architecture (8th)
- Teacher Training (9th)
- Others in Education (10th)
- Philosophy (10th)
The publication, released on 21 July 2016, provides extensive coverage of the 2014/15 DLHE survey. In this survey, the University of Dundee is one of the top UK universities for graduate employment.
The survey, published by the Higher Education Statistics Authority, shows that 96.2% of Dundee graduates were in work or further study six months after graduation, up from 94.5% last year. In analysis of the data carried out by Times Higher Education, only seven large UK institutions scored higher.
The figure for those in work, study or due to start work rises to 96.9%, up from 96.0%, with unemployment among graduates from the University falling from 3.9% to 3.1%. This data relates to first-degree, home-domiciled full time-study graduates who completed their course in 2014/5 and were surveyed six months after the end of their course.
The University of Dundee is among the fastest risers in the 2017 Guardian University Rankings and topped the UK table in forensic science and archaeology.
- Ranked 28th in the UK
- Top in Scotland for Forensic Science & Archaeology
- Top 10 results for Social Work (3rd), Dentistry (4th), Medicine (5th), Fashion & Textiles (7th), Law (8th), Art (9th), Economics (9th) and Physics (9th)
View the full tables on the Guardian University Guide website
The University of Dundee is ranked among the top 20 most innovative universities in Europe, and first in Scotland, in a new ranking produced by Reuters.
Reuters say their list of Europe's 100 most innovative universities 'identifies the educational institutions that are doing the most to advance science, invent new technologies, and help drive the global economy.'
Dundee is ranked 18th in the list, and is 5th in the UK.
- Ranked 123rd in the Top 200 of the rankings.
The University of Dundee has been named among the world's 'most international' universities in a new global list compiled by the leading higher education journal, Times Higher Education.
To compile the new table, THE examined the diversity of a university's student body and the extent to which its academics collaborate with international colleagues, to give a picture of how global an institution really is.
"This ranking is fantastic news and reflects the nature of Dundee as a global institution. We are continuing to expand our international activity, bringing the world to Dundee with students from all parts of the globe, and taking Dundee to the world through a formidable range of academic and business partnerships.
"We teach nurses in Eritrea and Kenya, we train orthodontists in Egypt, we partner a research institute to tackle diabetes in Kuwait, we attract life sciences doctoral students from Brazil, we work with seventeen leading Chinese universities, mainly in science and engineering, in addition to the thousands of students who come here to Dundee every year."
Wendy Alexander, Vice-Principal (International)
"An institution's global outlook is one of the key markers of a prestigious university. The top institutions hire faculty from all over the world, attract students from a global market of top talent and collaborate with leading departments wherever they happen to be based.
It is great news for all the institutions in the list of the most international universities in the world. It is a sign of great potential, competitiveness and dynamism."
Phil Baty, Editor at THE Rankings
- Ranked 180th in the world, 28th in the UK
Dundee rose five places to 180th in the newest edition of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
The 2017 edition of the THE rankings puts the University at 28th place among UK institutions. The league table uses 13 measures of performance, grouped into five pillars - teaching, research, citations, international outlook and industry income – to rank universities across the globe. Dundee’s high rating is the result of relentless improvement in almost all metrics.
Particularly strong performances were recorded in international outlook, in part due to the percentage of international students attending Dundee, and citations, where the University’s impact is in the top 10 per cent worldwide.
Professor Sir Pete Downes, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Dundee, said, “We are absolutely delighted not only to be named once again as one of the world’s top 200 universities, recognition that institutions across the globe covet, but to continue to climb in the rankings of globally successful universities.”
View the full tables on the Times Higher Education World University Rankings website:
View the full tables on the Times Higher Education website
- Named Scottish University of the Year 2016
"Our success follows a sharp rise in our overall ranking in the Good University Guide’s league table, we have risen eight places to 37th in the UK rankings and to fourth in Scotland. We are now the top university in Scotland under The Times and The Sunday Times analysis of the NSS outcomes for teaching quality, ranking ninth-equal in the UK."
Professor Sir Pete Downes, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Dundee
“The University of Dundee is the epitome of what a good university should be. It provides an outstanding education and university experience for its students, is a key driver in the regional and national economy, and its researchers – particularly in the medical field – are pushing back the boundaries of knowledge and the treatments available to the wider benefit of society.”
Alastair McCall, editor of The Sunday Times Good University Guide
View the full tables on the Times website (Registration required to view pages)
The 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) assessed the quality and impact of research submitted by UK universities across all disciplines. The results published in December 2014 will be used by the funding bodies to allocate block-grant research funding to universities from 2015-16.
- Dundee No. 1 University in UK for biological sciences
- Excellent result in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) subjects where the University's quality profile was the highest in Scotland
- 76% of research rated as `world-leading’ or `internationally renowned’
Find out more on our Research website
- Ranked 42nd in the UK and 7th in Scotland overall
- 2nd in the UK and Top in Scotland for anatomy & physiology
- 3rd in the UK and Top in Scotland for general engineering
- Top 10 in the UK for civil engineering, dentistry, education, mathematics, medical technology and sports science
- Top 3 in Scotland for civil engineering, education, mathematics, medical technology, medicine and sports science.
View the full tables on the Complete University Guide website.
- Ranked 38th equal in the UK and 6th in Scotland
- Top in Scotland for education, mechanical engineering and medicine.
- Top 3 in Scotland for dentistry (2nd), fashion & textiles (2nd), mathematics (2nd), philosophy (2nd), social work (2nd), architecture (3rd), art (3rd), biosciences (3rd), civil engineering (3rd), design & crafts (3rd), geography & environmental studies (3rd), health professions (3rd) and physics (3rd).
- Top 10 in the UK for medicine (4th=), dentistry (7th), fashion & textiles (7th), mechanical engineering (7th) and mathematics (8th).
- Top 20 in the UK for design & crafts (11th), education (11th=), geography & environmental studies (12th), philosophy (13th), civil engineering (14th), physics (16th) and art (20th).
- Additionally we are ranked 5th in the UK and 2nd in Scotland for our teaching quality and 8th in the UK and 2nd in Scotland for overall course satisfaction (both based on NSS satisfaction scores)
View the full tables on the Guardian University Guide website